Sunday, October 25, 2009

Delmer is back in the comfort of his own home!

Good evening! It's Tricia with the latest and greatest from transplantland. I'm very pleased to report that D was released from the hospital yesterday and we're hopeful that this will be the end of complications! While it was the fluid retention that put him back in the hospital initally, it was respiratory problems that kept him in for a few additional days. While the fluid retention may have contributed to the breathing issues, it appears that asthma may be part of the problem. Apparently D has had some undiagnosed asthma symptoms in the past and the trauma he's endured over the past three weeks may have caused a flare-up. But he's breathing better now and, to make sure it stays under control, he will soon undergo some pulmonary tests.

While in the hospital, D also went through some testing on his new kidney. Those tests came back great! Delmer reports that the doctor said the kidney is in "pristine" condition. I believe that's the nicest thing anyone has ever said about any of my body parts!

Delmer also said the fluid retention is getting better, but the drainage tube is still in place. Continued prayers are appreciated that these nagging issues will soon go away so that Delmer can finally enjoy good health and healing.

Compared to Delmer, I'm pretty boring (thank God!) My stomach is behaving much better and I'm experiencing very little pain at this time. The only thing I'm really having to recover from, at this point, is three weeks of couch potato-ness (that's my new word of the day). I'm trying to get out and about a little bit more each day so that my body won't be in total shock when I go back to work in two weeks. This morning I even made it to Mass. I was sitting in my usual back-of-the-church spot minding my own business when I hear Father Connor calling my name. He put me on the spot and made me go to the front of the church to give an update on how Delmer and I are doing. I really can't complain though as Father Connor and the parishoners at North American Martyrs church have provided tremendous support and prayers over the past several weeks. The kids at the school even made homemade get-well cards that are absolutely precious.

So...that's all I know at this point. I will continue to hound Delmer for updates on how he is doing. I told him that I am now his sister so he'll just have to put up with my nagging.

Thanks to all of you for your continued support through this amazing experience.

More later!

Love, Tricia

No comments:

Post a Comment